Happy and Healthy

Monday, February 16, 2015

A Picture Is Worth a Thousand Words

You know that old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words"? It's so true. I love pictures. I love the captured moments and the memories that are literally felt when you see the photo years later. Photos have the obvious and the not so obvious. Never to be taken at face value and never to be judged. Having said that, they almost always are.

This is one of my favorite pictures. It was a selfie that my hubby and I took on our little family trip to Tofino back in 2014.


I love it because, it holds a huge story for me. My memories hold happiness and heartache. This photo represents so much. None of it is visible. 

Here is what the picture doesn't show:

- We had just lost a baby. We still carried one, but had lost the other. 
- I was having loads of pregnancy complications.
- a heart murmur
- migraines
- high, and I mean very high, blood pressure
- extreme dizziness, almost the spins
- I struggled to walk and to function 
- it was shortly after this trip that I was placed on medical leave.

Here is why I love it so much:

- we had each other
- we had a healthy four year old daughter
- we had a healthy developing baby
- we supported each other through our loss 
- we communicated our grief
- we had time together in a beautiful place to appreciate what we had
- during this time we became very aware of who the supportive people in our lives are, and who they were not. I am not bitter about the people that should have been supportive but weren't. I am thankful to know. 

I say all this to remind myself and others that just because something appears a certain why, it doesn't make it so. Our society in general, is extremely judgemental. I strive to remember this time in my life when pictures painted a picture that was no where near reality. 

You look at it and see surface value. I see the story, feel the loss, the love and the learning.

We are all walking through our own stories. We don't often share. We all have struggles and heartaches that others are not privy to. We just need to remember to be kind and above all, non judgemental.

This is my reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment